Frequently Asked Questions
Prices & Planning
What do you do?
We develop bespoke software applications for medium+ sized UK businesses, covering web, mobile and desktop applications. We specialise in getting greater value from existing systems by developing new applications that integrate with them and take advantage of the latest technology such as the web and mobile devices. Some specific services are:
- Developing web based applications.
- Developing mobile and tablet apps.
- Developing desktop applications.
- Development of and integration with complex databases.
- Development of systems that integrate with 3rd party API’s.
We believe the key to taking advantage of the latest technology, is by integrating it with your existing software systems.
How much does it cost?
As each project that we undertake is different, they are all estimated and priced independently. We do however, have 3 broad pricing schemes depending on the size and scope of the project. Indicatively, our projects are priced between £5,000 and £50,000.
- Fixed Price Development: For smaller projects, or those with a very well defined scope we can deliver a fixed price estimate that will guarantee the delivery of work at an agreed price. For this kind of work all specifications must be agreed ahead of time and signed off, in order to ensure the right estimate is given.
- Daily Rate Work: For much larger projects, or those with a less well defined scope we provide daily rated pricing, where work is completed and billed on a per day basis. This is often the preferred method when the project is likely to change significantly throughout the development period, and may change in scope.
- Fixed Rate Sprints: We find that in a lot of cases taking a hybrid approach works best, particularly for larger projects. In this case we break the project into 2 to 4 week sprint cycles, each of which have specific deliverables. This allows us to identify which areas of the specification require more refinement, whilst still allowing us to progress with the project. Prices are then estimated on a per sprint basis.
Your requirements from both a project and business perspective are fully considered when agreeing the pricing for a project. Please get in touch for more information
How quickly will you respond to an enquiry?
We will respond to any enquiry within 24 hours wherever possible.
How quickly will I get a quote?
We try to deliver all quotes within 3 days of having a full idea of the project, although more often than not we can turnaround quotes much quicker. This obviously depends on the complexity of the project, and completeness of the requirements.
How will I know that the product will meet my business requirements?
Ensuring that we meet your business needs is of upmost importance to us, and we ensure this through a collaborative development process with regular updates. We do the following things to ensure our project meets the needs of your business:
- At the start of the project we ensure we understand what you’re trying to achieve, and how the project is going to deliver that. This makes it easier to ensure the project does not veer off-track.
- Throughout the project you will have access to our project portal so that you can see what work is in progress, and when you can expect features to be delivered. This will also allow you to identify any potential issues and be properly involved in the process.
- We will also deliver working software continually throughout the project. This will allow you to see, test and play with early versions of the product/system. This is critical as it ensures you are happy with the direction we are going in and the work that is being completed.
- At the end of the project we will review the entire specification ensuring that we have met all requirements, making sure that nothing has been missed. Everything will be tested and signed-off to ensure the right quality is delivered.
- Finally we treat our relationships as more of a partnership rather than vendor. This means we want to keep working with you, and have a duty of care once the project has gone live.
How long will it take?
As with pricing, each project is different and will take a different amount of time based on the requirements. Projects typically last between 1 month and a year, although much larger projects may last longer.
What technologies do you use?
We use primarily Microsoft based technologies for our projects, although it is clearly about using the best technology for the job. Typically we use:
- Mobile and Tablet Apps: We specialise in using Xamarin with Microsoft .NET and C# to deliver apps across iOS, Android and Windows.
- Desktop Development: Our desktop development work is completed using Microsoft .NET and C#.
- Databases: We have experience working with various SQL database such as SQL Server, SQL Azure, SQLite etc, in addition to various NoSQL databases.
- Environments: We primarily focus on Windows Server and Microsoft Azure based environments, although we have experience with various other platforms.
What is an app?
Strictly speaking the word ‘app’ is an abbreviation for ‘application’, which really refers to a software program. That said, the word ‘app’ has come to mean relatively lightweight, user-facing applications normally installed on mobile or tablet devices.
What is ‘cross-plaform’?
The term cross-platform refers to an app or compuuter program that works across multiple platforms, such as on iOS, Android and Windows. Cross-platform software attempts to reduce the management and development burden by developing an application once and then being able to deploy to multiple platforms.
What is the difference between Android and IOS?
Android and iOS are the 2 largest mobile operating system, with iOS representing the entire iPhone and iPad market, whereas Android represents the entire Android mobile and tablet market. These 2 operating systems account for the vast majority of all smartphones and tablets in circulation.
Each system has its own strengths and weaknesses, primarily Android is more open and flexible, whereas iOS is more secure and arguably delivers a better user experience.
Why should I use ItsMonkie Solutions?
We provide a transparent software development service, enabling you to take advantage of the latest advances in technology where it makes sense. We understand that technology is there to help your business meet its goals, and that it is the means, not the ends. Therefore you can expect a totally open and honest service, with with focus firmly on delivering end business value.
Furthermore we know that embarking on web, mobile and desktop development projects can be daunting and risky. We aim to alleviate this using a lean development process, with regular updates.
Where is ItsMonkie Solutions based?
ItsMonkie Solutions is based in UK, with a European network of developers.